Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thursday 8/27

I am off to AUK to meet with my advisor. Hopefully I will get a tour of the campus and take some photos or video. But for now the photo attached is the view from my hotel to AUK. I will upload some photos of the art from my hotel later.



I am all moved in with my host mother now. I hope to post some photos of my new home later. I walked down the street last night at 10pm to the market, I went to the bank and used my American ATM card and got Kuwaiti Dinar (KD). Plus, I finally got around to buying the plug adapter/converter. So contrary to popular belief back in the US, Kuwait is a very safe place. So mush so, that I felt perfectly fine walking 1/2 mile in the dark to the market. Nobody bothers you here. Plus, there aren't any guns or armed guards around. Oh and the taxis honk at you to get your attention, but you can just waive them bye or hop in. There is a lot of walking here, which is a good thing except for the heat. It often feels like you are walking in front of a hairdryer. There is a hot wind that blows on you all day and night. I met with my Kuwaiti Tutor yesterday. He is a professor over at Kuwait University. We will start our private classes on Sunday (which is their Monday) 3 hours per day. He seems very nice and we are also going to take trips outside of the classroom to practice my Kuwaiti Arabic skills in real life settings.
Well, I am off to AUK...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your great adventure has begun!
    We are all so proud of you.
    Love you and miss you!
    Love, Janet

    ReplyDelete