Monday, October 19, 2009

Diwaniyyah

So for everyone who is wondering what a Diwaniyyah looks like...



Of course, on the opposite wall is where the big flat screen TV was which was playing Football (Soccer) all night! The food was also laid out on the opposite wall, along with the bar...a juice bar that is, they had almond milk and some sort of fruit juice that was thick and very sweet (almost taste like a syrup).

And the lovely piece that is hanging in the center is (I was told) a replica of the doors at Mecca. But I don't really know anything about that...at least not yet as I have not taken my Islam class yet. But here is a close up...it really is beautiful, just don’t ask me what it says. Although, I am pretty sure it is something from the Quran. This is very common to have something from the Quran written as artwork in these sort of spaces (in almost any space actually).



Another thing that is common is these Dhow (boat) model replicas. In fact, my professor also took me to the place where they make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment