Tuesday, October 20, 2009

US Ambassador to Kuwait

Who is that in the photo you ask????? Why that is me and several other students at AUK with Ambassador Deborah K Jones, the US Ambassador to Kuwait. The Model United Nations (MUN) at AUK held an opening ceremony today with the Ambassadors from the US, UK, Saudi Arabia, and Germany.



After taking this photo, I did actually introduce myself to the Ambassador and told her about my scholarships and why I was in Kuwait. She replied Ahlan wa Sahlan, and asked how what I thought of Kuwait so far. I told her that it was an amazing experience. And then she commented that it is different than you thought - and what they tell you back home. Very much so! I replied. She then asked that I spread the word back home that Kuwait is a wonderful place. I told her - even better, I am writing a blog so that everyone back home could get a glimpse into the real Kuwait and realize that it is not a place they should be afraid of visiting…Well, at least that is how I remember the brief conversation going…

I hope that I get to have a longer conversation with the Ambassador when I visit the Embassy. Although, I don’t know whether or not I am scheduled to meet with her then which is partly the reason that I made sure to introduce myself today.

She gave an excellent speech today, which would make almost anyone want to join the US Dept of State Foreign Service…maybe even me someday!

2 comments: