Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hello Again

I am sorry for my absence....It has been awhile, almost a whole month. I ran into a few issues with my study abroad program, which is to be expected with a brand new program. However, everything is being worked through...so I can get back to enjoying my time here in Kuwait, inshallah!

I am now enrolled in 4 courses at AUK; ARAB 114 - Arabic Basic Language Skills, HIST 110 - 20th Century Middle East History, HIST 201 - History & Politics of Kuwait, HIST 389 - Oral History. I am also unofficially auditing SBSA 210 – Arab Society & Culture. So I have classes 5 days a week.

I am enrolled in both male courses and female courses because there were some schedule conflicts they made an exception for me. It is very interesting to be in both female and male classes because it allows me to see the difference between the two. I must say that the females are very well prepared for class and bring intellectually stimulating questions for thoughtful discussions. However, the males by in large do not do their homework or show up to class on time.

The Oral History course has two projects. First, we will be interviewing Americans to capture their perspectives on Arabs, The Middle East, Islam, Terrorism, 9-11, etc. Second, we will be interviewing Kuwaitis to get a Life History from the older generations to capture the growth and change of Kuwait over the past half a century.

Oh, I went to a movie last night. We saw Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, and even though it is only a cartoon the government apparently felt the need to censor the kiss at the end of the movie. That was a new sensation for me...I felt a little robbed...I mean I did pay a whole 1.5KD to see the movie, I expect to see the whole thing. But, we just laughed it off...as it was a blatant omission. The character says "Just Kiss Me" and then it cuts to the credits...

Did I mention that AUK is one block from the waterfront? I spent a lot of my time between classes doing homework stretched out on the beach....



....AHHHHHH, the Arabian Gulf......

No comments:

Post a Comment